Damage Restoration FAQs in East Lansing, MI

Frequently Asked Questions About Damage Restoration

In general, after any loss that results in an insurance claim, the following actions should be taken:

What can I do to help prevent a fire?

  • Plan your escape route. Remember to get out, stay out, and call the fire department!
  • If you have a grease fire, do not throw water on it.
  • Do not overuse extension cords/power-strips, overloaded circuits, overloaded appliances.
  • Empty your dryer lint trap after each use.
  • Ensure appliances are properly installed and wired by a professional.
  • Do not leave candles unattended or burn too close to flammable objects.
  • Be mindful while smoking.
  • Keep lighters and matches out of reach of children.
  • Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
  • Test smoke detectors monthly. If they're not working, change the batteries.

What should I do after a loss?

  • Contact insurance agent immediately to understand what you're entitled to
  • Document the source/date/time and save remnants and contents
  • Contact McCardel Restoration to schedule a walkthrough and mitigate the loss to prevent secondary damage
  • Close doors to the affected area
  • Request rush items to be cleaned
  • Open windows (weather permitting)
  • Remove pets
  • Limit movement in the property as it helps soot and mold to spread
  • Change furnace filters and turn off heating/cooling
  • Stay out of the room if the ceiling is sagging
  • If possible, remove water by mopping/blotting
  • Eliminate the source of the water if possible
  • Watch out for detached/split/cracked tree branches inside or out
  • Talk to a physician about a post-exposure medical evaluation

What should I NOT do after a loss?

  • Enter the house until it has been inspected and given the "ok" to reenter.
  • Cross contaminate.
  • Use appliances.
  • Use at-home carpet/upholstery cleaners.
  • Throw away any damaged goods until inventory is taken.
  • Take damaged linens/clothes to a dry cleaner.
  • Consume anything exposed to heat/smoke/soot, it may be contaminated.
  • Use personal hygiene items left in the affected area.
  • Use the household vacuum to remove water.
  • Use any electrical appliances while standing in a saturated area or go into a room with standing water while electricity is still on.
  • Do not try and kill mold – dead spores are dangerous, too.
  • Do not wait to take care of any loss.